Thursday, September 25, 2014

Support Local Food at the Source, Go to the FAIR!

Flashing lights, clanging bells, bellowing cattle, roasting peanuts and whirling amusement rides.  Yes, it's that time of year when North Carolinians celebrate all things agricultural at local fairs.  Perhaps it has been awhile since you attended such an event and, if that is the case, make plans now to visit an agricultural fair.  For those who support local food, there is no better opportunity to witness, firsthand, the best of what grows in our state.  From local honey to broil-your-tongue fresh peppers, an agricultural fair is a chance to see the incredible variety of what NC produces.

When I was a child, my brother, cousins and I eagerly anticipated the annual agricultural fair.  It was a time to stuff ourselves with candy apples, pluck plastic ducks from a trough of water to win a prize and let our imaginations run wild as we made our way through the haunted house.  Although we loved every trip to the fair, one year stands out in my memory.

My brother, Dale, was about three years old when he discovered a garden hose attached to a water faucet near the farm animal barn.  Breaking free from our group, he grabbed the spray nozzle and, to his delight, discovered the water was on and he was in control of a powerful toy.  My mother called to him to rejoin us, but he was in his element, spraying water in a wide circle.  My grandmother began to walk toward him, but he turned the nozzle and sprayed her.  It was the only time I can recall seeing my grandmother run, high-stepping in retreat as my brother soaked the back of her green dress.  My cousins and I attempted to encircle the culprit, who was now screaming with laughter, but each time one of us tried to approach him, he would turn the water on us.  Finally, my mother braved the blast and walked through the stream to wrestle the nozzle from her son's grasp, her bouffant hairdo wilting under the soaking water.  Wringing water from our clothing, we walked to our car, our fair visit cut short.  As we drove away, someone began to giggle and soon, the entire group was laughing, tears adding more moisture to our already wet faces.  To this day, it is a memory that makes me laugh aloud.

Earlier this week, I packed boxes of canned goods and fresh produce and delivered them to the Caldwell County Fairgrounds where I found Darlene Berry, Seth Nagy, Dolly Whisnant, Nancy Clark, Maggie Miller, Lois Hoyle, Lee Cox and Dick Mitchell, fair organizers and directors, whose hard work and planning are evident.  My friend, Karen Storie Glasscock, received several blue and red ribbons for her entries in the Mocksville, NC, fair, and she and I have a friendly competition to see who will win the most prizes.   Although award money is minimal, pride is at stake and Karen threw the gauntlet this year.   Competition at agricultural fairs is friendly, but I admit I will be sorely disappointed if my pretty pickled cherry tomatoes do not receive a prize!

A couple of Karen's prize ribbons from the Mocksville Fair

Local fairs focus on youth groups and visitors are inspired by a wide range of entries from young people, ages 5-19.  From food preservation to arts and crafts to horticulture and many other categories, it is gratifying to see the efforts of these talented youngsters.  The Junior Beef Heifer Show, open to exhibitors under 21 years old, is a hotly contested and thrilling event.  Caldwell County's show will be held on Saturday, September 27th, at 2 pm. 

It is not too late to plan a trip to a local fair.  Rowan County, Atlantic District, Caldwell County, Chowan County, Moore County and Madison County fairs run through Saturday, the 27th and the Harnett Regional fair ends on Sunday, the 28th.  Wayne, Wilkes, Onslow, Stanley and Cleveland Counties all host fairs during the first week of October and the BIG SHOW, the NC State Fair, will be in Raleigh from October 16-26.  Revisit your childhood with a trip to one of these events or take a child.  Just be sure to keep an eye out for unguarded water hoses!
Richard carries our son, Clark, into the Caldwell Fair, 1988. 

0 comments: