Thursday, June 19, 2014

Remembering Rosemary

Rosemary, a hardy, fragrant and delicious perennial herb
In William Shakespeare's play, Hamlet, it was the character, Ophelia, who said, There's rosemary, that's for remembrance; pray, love, remember.  I recalled that line earlier today when I went to weed my kitchen garden herb bed.  A raised 20'x12' area should not be difficult to maintain, but when most of my gardening time is spent at Heart & Sole, sometimes the herb bed suffers and I took advantage of a pleasant weather morning to tackle overgrown areas.  Sadly, I noticed my elderly rosemary bush, planted in 2001, was dead. 
Dead rosemary, planted in 2001
Thankfully, a couple of years ago, when the herb began to show signs of aging, I took cuttings from the plant and stuck them in a vase of water on my kitchen window sill.  Those small branches took root and I placed them in the herb bed near the parent plant.  Today, those cuttings are a thriving small bush and I am glad to have rosemary included in my herb collection.  One of the hardiest herbs for our area, rosemary blossoms are a beautiful shade of blue and the plant usually blooms during cold winter days, imparting a rare glimpse of coming spring.  Woody rosemary branches make excellent skewers for grilling meats and vegetables and I like to place them, along with other herbs, under beef or lamb before oven roasting.  The herbs form a natural and flavorful roasting rack for the meat.  Rosemary is a primary ingredient in many of my herbed vinegar recipes and the branches make sturdy additions to flower arrangements. 

As I surveyed the two rosemary bushes, one vibrant green and the other a tangle of brown, brittle branches, I reflected upon how gardening mirrors other life cycles.  Birth, reproduction and death are all important components of a healthy garden.  Even though the dead rosemary bush will no longer produce its pungent leaves, I cut each branch and put them in a huge plastic bag.  Chef Clark Barlowe plans to use the branches for smoking meats at Heirloom Restaurant and I am glad this beloved plant will have one final culinary use.  As I cut the branches away from the gnarled trunk, I discovered one of the rosemary branches was bent to the ground.  Where it touched the soil, the branch formed roots and a plant was growing from this branch.  Smiling at the unexpected surprise, I trimmed away the dead branches and tidied the plant's area.  It is not the prettiest rosemary shrub, but tucked into the back of my herb bed, against the south-facing wall of our home, it may survive for quite some time. At any rate, after thirteen productive years, I think it deserves a chance.
Before its death, the elderly rosemary produced an offspring  
Add fresh herbs to dishes for flavor and nutritional value.  Herbs also are a delicious alternative to salt.  One of the easiest ways to use herbs, this recipe is a family favorite at my home.  Use the herbs in the recipe or others you like.  This recipe is about mixing flavorful herbs and is a great one to vary, according to taste preference.  Sometimes, I add minced garlic or onions or the pink "blossoms," called bubils, on garlic scapes.  Whether you grow your own herbs or purchase them at a farmer's market, be sure to select plants with tender, young leaves.  If you pick your own, harvest them in the morning when they pack more flavor.
Garlic bubils add visual interest and flavor to chopped herbs

Herb Dip

1 sprig rosemary and 3 sprigs thyme, remove leaves from woody stems, discard stems
2 basil leaves
2 sage leaves
2 small sprigs dill
1 small fennel frond
1 small borage leaf
5 sprigs flat leaf parsley
1 sprig oregano, remove leaves and discard stem
5 chives, onion or garlic varieties, or both

Place all herb leaves on a large cutting board and finely chop with a large knife.
In a serving bowl, add chopped herbs, a pinch of dried red pepper flakes, a tiny pinch of salt (optional) and a few grinds of black pepper.
Pour good quality olive oil over mixture, add a splash of balsamic vinegar and immediately serve with warm bread.
The gnarled rosemary trunk attests to the plant's longevity



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Asheville. A lot of the rosemary in the mountains got killed in the cold winter. Hopefully next winter will be milder.