Thursday, June 26, 2014

Eggplant, Loved by Every Pest

Eggplants: Beautiful and Delicious

When I was a child, most of our family's produce grew in our own garden or came from someone we knew.  During the summer growing season, my mother prepared beans, squash, cucumbers, corn, okra, tomatoes, potatoes and many other delicious vegetables and fruits, but I never saw an eggplant until, as an adult, I spotted a supermarket bin full of the fruit and I was intrigued by the deep purple flesh, but had no clue how to prepare this ingredient.  Now, after years of growing this plant and cooking its fruit, I can not imagine my garden, or my kitchen, without eggplant.

A member of the nightshade family, early eggplants were small and mostly white, hence the name, and cooks in India and Asian countries prepared eggplant for hundreds of years before it was introduced to European countries.  Historians credit Thomas Jefferson with bringing the first eggplants to the United States, where they were more likely to be ornamental display than food until ethnic dishes began to influence the general population's diet. Like squash, eggplant is a bit bland in flavor, but is a great "canvas" food and it easily incorporates spicy, sweet or savory flavors.

I start almost every plant I grow at Heart & Sole Gardens from heirloom seeds and each year I add at least one eggplant variety to my farm.  Eggplants love hot growing conditions and the tender plants typically have a slow start until the weather is warm enough for them to thrive.  Unfortunately, the flea beetle life cycle usually is at the point of lethal attack when I transplant my eggplants to the farm.  Several years ago, I witnessed that pest destroy my small plants within hours after they touched farm soil, so I now take drastic measures to protect them.  In addition to flea beetles, a variety of worms love to eat eggplant leaves, along with aphids, Colorado potato beetles and mites, plus, eggplants can be susceptible to blights and fungal diseases. 
Flea beetles attack potato leaves, but they love eggplant best
Last week, I decided to transplant eggplants to the farm and, fortunately, my nephew, Ben Hamby, agreed to be my farm helper that day.  Although he confessed he knew little about farming, Ben was a quick study and he impressed me with his attention to detail, his enthusiasm and his strong back.  With a storm approaching, Ben dug holes for the eggplants, I added a cocktail mixture of Epsom salts, blood and bone meal and crushed eggshells.  Ben quickly shoveled a bucket of composted manure to add to the holes while I fetched water from the creek.  Together we set the tender plants in their new homes, watered them and then placed sheer food covers over each eggplant.  I hammered stakes and Ben labeled each variety with duct tape and a permanent marker.  We finished the last of thirty plants just as a drenching rain began to fall.  As we drove away, Ben remarked that he did not know if he liked eggplant.  I assured him, if there is a harvest, we will cook with eggplant and I think he will love it.
With a storm approaching, Ben labels eggplants
Sheer picnic food covers and pinwheels will (hopefully) help protect young plants from pest attack



















In a successful growing season, eggplants are one of the most prolific producers.  Be sure to harvest young eggplants before seeds turn dark. For a tasty way to use an abundant crop, try this twist on a hummus recipe.  It is delicious and fun to say, Baba Ghanoush!

Baba Ghanoush

4 small eggplants, halved and lightly coated with olive oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place eggplants, cut side down, on foil-lined baking sheet
Roast eggplants for about 15 minutes, until soft, allow to cool slightly
Use a spoon to scoop out eggplant flesh and place in food processor, discard skin
Add 2 cloves garlic, minced and 2 tablespoons tahini
Pulse until blended, add 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Pulse a few times, then add about 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, 2 tablespoons pitted kalamata olives and about 1/4 cup olive oil, adding oil and blending until smooth



Serve with pita bread, crackers or tortilla chips

0 comments: