Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Departing Gift: An Heirloom Bean Mystery

A few weeks ago, I learned this would be my last Heart & Sole Food blog post for the Observer.  As I pondered what to write, I revisited my first post, Breaking Ground  for inspiration

Although I still can not explain why, in 2008, Richard and I broke ground to garden, as I walk through my home, I see stocked pantry shelves, loaded freezer racks and boxes and jars of dried heirloom seeds and I am thankful, not just for food, but for other gifts our small farm gives us.  Physical work that strengthens aging bodiesLessons taught by our grandparents that emerge from forgotten memory banks. Visceral connections to nature that clarify our own mortality.  An ever-changing kaleidoscope of beauty.
Spider eating bee in farm's old homeplace daffodil
Fresh air to breathe.  Life-affirming sunlight and rain.  For these things and more, we are grateful.


As I end this writing chapter, I thank each of you who contacted me via emails, texts, telephone calls and mailed notes and I appreciate the encouragement, advice and inspiration you shared.   I leave you with a mystery story . . .

Recently, my cousin, Pat Rhea, called and asked if I would like to have some heirloom seeds her mother saved more than ten years ago.  Pat delivered bean seeds and we identified White Mountain Half Runners, a productive family staple brought from Germany with our great-great-great grandmother, Polly Schmidt Bean.  As far as the second variety, Pat guessed they could be Greasy beans, so called because they have a slick pod surface.  Regardless of species, Pat's heirloom seeds are welcome additions and will connect past with present and, hopefully, the future. 
Heirloom Seed Saver Polly Schmidt Bean
For those who wish to receive an email update about future farm blogs, send your request to: me


Happy Gardening!

2 comments:

Relaxed painter said...

Your blog has been a gift to everyone who had the opportunity to read them! You really really should write a book about all of these wonderful gardening discoveries you have made since starting Heart and Sole! I will miss your writing! Please keep me on your list should you decide to write again!
Margaret

Unknown said...

Thank you, Margaret, for all your support!