Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Planting Legacies

Spring, 2016, yields some of the most spectacular early blossoms on record for Western NC.  One beautiful display reminds me of a neighbor who planted azaleas not long before his death.  Looking at the expanse of brilliant red blooms, a delight for passersby, I remember the man who placed young plants, his friendly wave, a wide smile that proclaimed youthful spirit and his twinkling eyes.  These azaleas, now mature plants, announce joyful exuberance and share beauty, a living legacy to the gardener. 

Tim's Azaleas, Spectacular 2016 Show
A stroll around my home also reminds me of friends and family, some who are alive and others who shared tangible reminders of their earthly time.  Here, Ruth's peonies, deliciously fragrant, there, Aunt Meda's irises, large blossoms very different from my grandmother's small delicate purple ones. 
Hellebores Re-Seed to Grow New Plants
Janet's Hellebores thrive in wooded oak leaf beds and a large pot holds nodding bleeding hearts, a gift from Clark.   
Perennial Bleeding Hearts Thrive as Container Plants
Along with plants, I count heirloom seeds as gifts. When I hold these small treasures in my palm, I feel their life force and look forward to watching seedlings emerge from soil, thrive and bloom, produce fruit, vegetables and seed for another season, before the plant dies.
Beans, Peas, Peanuts & Sunflowers: Seeds from my Grandmother
Plant cycles are reminders of our own human mortality. Should we not all hope for productive days that allow us to create beauty where we live?  This spring, plan to share a plant or seeds with a special friend or family member and create your own living legacy.  Someday, when a blossom is especially beautiful or a fruit unusually sweet, someone may fondly recall your life and smile at the memory. 

0 comments: