Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Cool Beans

I believe in the power of heirloom seeds.  Although it may take a few growing seasons before some crops adapt to a new environment, if the gardener saves the best seed specimens for subsequent plantings, these smart plants will thrive in a variety of growing conditions, produce abundantly and develop resistance to pests.  At Heart & Sole Gardens, two bean varieties are excellent examples of how heirloom seeds acclimate to geographic areas.

Granny's Beans, Growing in 2015 from Pre-1985 Seed

For many years, my maternal grandmother, Lora Bolick Minton, grew a large vegetable garden and saved seeds from her plants.  Most of the seeds she planted were inherited from immigrant ancestors who brought them from Germany.  After my grandmother died, in 1986, my parents stored her seeds in their freezer and when I cultivated a large 2008 garden, they offered me the seeds.  I planted Granny's beans in 2009 and, even though these seeds were dormant for almost twenty-five years, the plants thrived and I harvested bushels of Mountaineer White Half Runner beans.  Despite the abundant yield, I made a terrible mistake.
Pickled Dilly Beans, A Favorite Family Treat
Because I love to grow a variety of plants and seed catalogs' colorful photographs and exotic descriptions entice me to order, my 2010 garden included several varieties of beans.  Unfortunately, I neglected to separate each type by a sufficient distance and hardworking pollinators carried pollen from blossom to blossom, resulting in seeds that, when planted in 2011, produced beans that were not true to type, but carried traits from many parents.  Although these "mutt" heirlooms were delicious, I resolved to maintain true seed for my grandmother's beans.
Good Friday Planting Restored Pure Seed Stock


Fortunately, I still had a few pre-1985 bean seeds stored in my freezer and I decided to plant them on Good Friday, a traditional planting day, for an extra measure of luck.  Though the seeds were at least thirty years old and April 3rd was early enough to flirt with killing frost danger, the seeds germinated well, produced strong vines and enough beans to replenish my true seed supply as well as plenty for pickling, canning and eating fresh.  
Ted's Butter Beans
Another heirloom bean I love is one that Cranberry, NC, resident and lifelong farmer, Ted Hoilman, shared with me and friend, Kim Barnhardt.  Generations of Ted's family grew these heirlooms and the colors are beautiful, the beans large and the flavor delicious.  Since these seeds are acclimated to a cooler growing environment, they thrive in Kim's mountain garden, but struggle in my Caldwell County climate.  After saving a small amount of seeds for the past few years, 2015's crop seems to be well adapted to a new growing region and, with good growing conditions, should produce well for 2016.  Learning from past mistakes, I now separate beans at Heart & Sole, with hope to pass true seed to the next generation of family gardeners.  
Beautiful Butter Bean Blossoms

When I was a child, my grandmother picked bushels of green beans every summer.  I remember the snap, snap of beans as my grandmother, mother and aunt, prepared them for canning and the distinctive fragrance of cooking beans wafting from the kitchen.  Our family ate canned green beans several times each week and I recall a trip to the coast when we made green bean sandwiches from the jars we packed for the trek.  Although I use my canned beans for many recipes, the following is one that is a traditional family preparation.  Now that I think about it, green bean sandwiches would be fun to try as an adult . . .

Southern Style Green Beans
*I remember beans from my childhood were cooked until almost mush, but for optimum flavor and texture, do not overcook.

3 slices smoked pork side meat (or thick bacon)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or olive oil)
1 medium onion, diced
2 quarts canned green beans or 3-4 pounds fresh snap beans, strings removed, washed and cut or broken to 2-3 inch pieces

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven and slowly cook meat until fat renders.  Remove meat or leave in pot.
Add onion and stir to coat with oil/fat.  Cook over low heat until tender, about 4 minutes.
Add beans and enough water to just cover.
Add 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, few grinds of black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon onion granules and 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules.  
For a spicy kick, add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Place lid on pot and cook until beans are tender.

*Vegetarians may omit pork and increase oil to 2 tablespoons.












0 comments: