Saturday, August 15, 2015

The Ruth, Story of a Special Cantaloupe

There is a lot to love about a cantaloupe.  Start with that fragrance.  It perfumes the garden air long before the visitor reaches the vines, which, unlike cucurbit cousins Pumpkin, Cucumber and Gourd, grow compactly and make weeding a manageable task.  The perky blossoms are bright yellow and attract a host of pollinators to their stamens.  And, then, of course, there is the flavor.  Summer gold on the tongue, to be sure.

The RUTH, a special heirloom cantaloupe
So, why did I never grow cantaloupe before this year?  Although I hate to admit it, cantaloupe has never been my favorite food.  As a matter of fact, it is one of the very few foods I typically avoid.  All that changed when my cousin, Ruth Bolick, mailed some heirloom cantaloupe seeds to my home and I planted a hill this spring.  After diligently weeding and caring for the plants, my reward was four beautiful melons.  
Ruth's cantaloupes in late spring
Just after the orbs swelled to about softball size, I took the cap off a ball point pen and carefully scratched the surface of two melons.  R U T H.  The lines of the letters oozed and left faint marks which healed and became more apparent as the melons matured.  

On harvest day, I placed the four cantaloupes in a box and drove them home, noting the two bearing Ruth's name were unblemished, unlike the others, which hosted soft spots and dark marks.  When I sliced one of the blemished melons, I expected to find a rotten center, but to my surprise, the interior was firm, richly colored and deliciously juicy.  I carefully scraped seeds from the center, peeled and sliced the cantaloupe and stored it in the refrigerator after sneaking several bites.

Packing the two "named" melons in a cardboard box, I called Ruth and told her I was planning to deliver a present.  She rewarded me with a bright smile as she lifted a melon to her face to inhale the fragrance.  We chatted and compared gardening notes and she offered instructions about saving cantaloupe seeds, which her mother taught her to do.  
 
Cousin Ruth holds her namesake melon


Heirloom fruits and vegetables are true treasures, not only for longevity, but for incomparable flavor.  After tasting Ruth's cantaloupes, I am now a fan and the following recipe offers an easy preparation that highlights the melon's sweetness while salty Prosciutto and smoky Chipotle pepper provide flavor balance.  Serve it as a side dish or appetizer.  Bonus points for using heirloom cantaloupe!
 
Cantaloupe + Prosciutto + Chipotle = Delicous

Roasted Cantaloupe Bites Wrapped in Prosciutto
6 servings
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Peel and cut ripe cantaloupe into 12 2-inch cubes.
In a small bowl, combine the following:
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg 
1/4 teaspoon Chipotle powder

Toss melon cubes in mixture and rub to coat.
Use a sharp knife to cut 4 slices Prosciutto into 1/2 inch lengths.
Wrap melon cubes with Prosciutto, crossing to form an "X" pattern.
Line a baking sheet with foil and drizzle olive oil lightly over foil.
Place wrapped melon on baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes, turning melon at the 4 minute mark.
Turn oven to broil and broil melon for one minute, then flip to broil the other side.  
Serve warm and, for those with a sweet tooth, lightly drizzle with honey before serving.  


  

 

 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a great story about the cantaloupe and preserving heirloom seeds.....You are right, the fragrance is wonderful!