Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Pickled Fridge

When I was a child, we had a single refrigerator.  1950s pink, it bore the battle scars inflicted by a former owner and, in my child's imagination, those dents looked like a smiley face, sort of like a certain 1970s icon.  In the freezer section of the machine, my mother stored vegetables and fruits, but, to save space, canned most of her preserved harvest.  Basement shelves held Mason jars of beans, tomatoes, corn, okra, squash, peas, peaches, apples, jams, jellies and pickles.  Oh, the pickles . . .

If you can grow it, you can pickle it!

Sweet or sour, my family loves pickles, but we are most partial to those that are almost mouth-puckeringly tart and pack a bit of heat.  Some of our favorites are bamboo, tiny cucumbers called Mexican Sour Gherkins and cherry tomatoes.  I store jars of pickled things in the refrigerator, since refrigerator pickles usually retain that fresh texture longer than processed ones.  Also, when there is not enough harvest of a particular ingredient to justify a run of pickles, I just pack odds and ends into recycled jars, add pickling solution and stash the jars in the fridge.  

 
Pickled potatoes and hot peppers



If you love pickles, plan to make your own this year.  Before pickling season, make a batch of solution and store it in the refrigerator so it will be handy when you need it.  The recipe I use is one given to me by my husband's grandmother and her handwritten recipe, along with my maternal grandmother's oyster dressing, my paternal grandmother's pumpkin pie and my sister-in-law's Vidalia onion pie recipes, are taped inside a kitchen cabinet.  When I open that door, I see tangible reminders of people who shared important lessons with me while they were living.  These are my kitchen talismans. . . 
 
Vestal Anderson's recipe for Dilly Beans

While my mother somehow managed to function with one refrigerator, I have three.  I know, but please, don't tell my mama.  It may be overkill, but the basement refrigerator is just for pickles.  Even though I shared jars with friends and we eat pickles nearly every day, there are still a lot of pickles in that fridge.  Perhaps a pickle party might be in order?  It might be the only way to make way for next season's refrigerator pickles!

Refrigerator Pickles

Fresh produce, washed.  Some items, like green beans and potatoes, should be blanched before pickling, while others, like tomatoes or peppers, are fine to pickle in a fresh state.  Check a reliable source, like the Ball Blue Book, if you are unsure about blanching.   
Pack ingredients in a clean jar with a tight fitting lid.  Add fresh or dried herbs, sweet or hot peppers, peppercorns, and/or whole garlic cloves, depending upon your taste preference.  Add enough pickling solution to cover the contents and secure the lid.
Store in the refrigerator.  Within a few weeks, the contents will be pickled and may be safely stored in the fridge for months.
Enjoy! 

Pickling Solution
2 cups white vinegar
1 3/4 cups water
3 tablespoons granulated sugar (I omit this for more tart flavor)
4 tablespoons salt (I use kosher)

Simmer all ingredients and stir to dissolve salt and sugar.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.  Store in the refrigerator.




0 comments: