Friday, December 5, 2014

The Farm is the Main Thing

Recently, I sat in a hospital waiting room while a family member was in surgery.  Surrounded by others who were equally anxious and hopeful for their own loved ones, I attempted to lose myself in the latest copy of Edible Charlotte.  One of my favorite publications, Edible never fails to deliver intriguing recipes, offer new planting ideas and showcase the best of Charlotte's food scene.

While reading, I overheard the man sitting next to me mention the word "farm."  I kept my eyes on the page, but shamelessly eavesdropped on the conversation between the man and the older woman to his left.  His words made me reflect on the growing emphasis on locally produced food, while inwardly I chuckled at his idealistic vision of the lives of restaurant owners and farmers.  Not that I doubt this man may someday live his dream, but as he talked, I remembered the heartbreak of crops I lost to drought, flood, freeze and blistering heat.  I recalled many chats with farm-to-table chefs and how these talented men and women struggle to maintain that delicate balance of stocking adequate fresh food ingredients for customers who may drop in unannounced, while attempting to provide an enticing menu for those who reserved tables in advance. 

Perhaps it is our hurried, busy lives that make us long for simplicity, a connection to the Earth and a renewed appreciation for the source of our food.  Maybe this man has a need in his life and he believes working with the land will fill that void.  I hope he overcomes the challenges ahead and I hope he realizes his dream.  Maybe someday, I will stumble across a restaurant, surrounded by a pastoral farm, that serves Saturday dinner only and the man's dream will echo in my memory.  I hope he lives his dream and I hope customers will come . . .

Hospital Waiting Room Soliloquy

I really want to farm.  When I retire, I hope to go where God leads me and have a farm.  I will work about 35 hours per week at my regular job and the rest of the time, I will work at the farm.  Gradually, I will only work at the farm.  I will plant vegetables and fruits.  One day, I will have cows and maybe pigs.  And chickens.  After I build the farm, I will open a restaurant.  I will serve food I grow.  Maybe I will do lunch or breakfast sometimes, but I will only open on Saturdays for dinner.  I will only serve two meal choices.  I don't want the restaurant to be too much; I will only do Saturday dinners and people will come from all around to eat.  The restaurant will not take much of my time.  The farm is the main thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great column. Thank you.. It's almost impossible to meet people's expectations on locally grown, organic, GMO free, etc. The restaurants and stores do their best but people need to temper their expectations, especially on the cheap. Anyone. who says they want to become a farmer has the same mentality that someone who wants to open a restaurant...they have no clue.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Anonymous, for your comments. I am humbled by all the hard working farmers and farm-to-table restauranteurs we have in NC and hope customers and consumers will continue to support their efforts.