Saturday, November 8, 2014

Parsnips = Time and Space

Ever wonder why local autumn farmer's market vendors do not offer parsnips in the same abundant numbers as summer heirloom tomatoes?  After all, these root vegetables are as much poster children for their season as those juicy, colorful orbs are for summer.  I think I have the answer to the question as to why parsnips can be in short supply:  they require time and space.

To produce a successful parsnip crop, try this basic recipe:

1.  Purchase heirloom seeds.  Parsnips can have a low germination rate, so purchase extra.

2.  In early spring, prepare the soil.  Parsnips are root vegetables, so be sure the soil is deeply worked, about two feet.  For best results, use a tractor hiller attachment to raise the row where you plan to plant parsnips, otherwise, use a rake or hoe to make a raised row.

3.  After the danger of frost has passed, place seeds atop the row and cover with about one-half inch of soil.

4.  When parsnips begin to grow, thin the plants to allow space for roots to grow, about three inches apart.

5.  Diligently weed the parsnip row as often as possible, taking care to not damage the tender seedlings.  Apply a layer of mulch to help control weeds.

Late spring Parsnip row, weeded in foreground

6.  Keep weeding throughout summer and early fall.

7.  After a few frosts, begin to harvest parsnips.  A shovel is helpful to dig the roots, since they can be quite long  Some mature parsnips may be more than ten inches in length.

8.  Throughout winter, harvest parsnips.  Hardy plants, the roots store well in the ground, unless the winter is exceptionally harsh.  Cold weather makes the roots sweeter.

For some gardeners, growing parsnips is too labor intensive to justify the  time and real estate necessary to produce a successful crop; however, for those who crave that unique sweet flavor, sort of carrot, but not really, these long season tubers are worth the effort.  When I look at my parsnip row, frilly leaves standing tall, I anticipate the harvest and look forward to enjoying these root veggies in soups, roasted or boiled and mashed.  For a pure taste of the autumn season, fresh parsnips are the ultimate flavor.
Parsnip/Carrot soup: recipe at www.seedtales.com

Not only are parsnips delicious, they can sometimes be surprising.  Several years ago, I harvested my first parsnip crop.  It was mid-winter and the soil was cold and hard.  I used my foot to push the shovel deep into soil surrounding parsnip leaves.  When I tried to pull the vegetable from the ground, it seemed to be stuck.  After removing several spadefuls of dirt from the area, I finally worked the prize free.  When I saw what I held in my hand, I had to laugh aloud.  Who says farm work is without humor?
Passionate Parsnips


0 comments: