Thursday, July 17, 2014

Magic Beans? I Believe . . .

Granny's Beans, 2009 Harvest

I was not always a seed saver.  Oh, there was the time in the early 1980s when I stuck a few lemon seeds in a pot of dirt and grew a small plant, but that was more novelty than plan.  With youthful ignorance, I believed the chemical companies' pitch about buying seeds that produced more yield, were resistant to pests and performed better in adverse growing conditions.  As backyard gardeners, my husband, Richard, and I eagerly anticipated the arrival of mail order seed catalogs and the intriguing descriptions enticed us to purchase packets of exotic varieties.  Not until 2008, when our farm became the next link in my family's seed-saving history, did I realize the power and importance of heirloom plants.

My role as seed saver began with my parents.  When they learned Richard and I planned to grow organic vegetables and fruits on his family's fifth-generation farm, my mother called to ask if I would like to have my grandmothers' old seeds.  Perhaps this question would not be so remarkable, except for the fact that my grandmothers died in 1986 and 1994 and their most recently saved seeds were at least fifteen years old, while others were stored in freezers for perhaps twenty-five years.  Doubtful the ancient seeds would germinate, I accepted the gifts and stored them in my own freezer until  I decided to plant my maternal grandmother's bean seeds in 2009.  The results were astonishing.

Lora Bolick Minton's beans thrive at Heart & Sole Gardens
Perhaps it was my imagination, but when I held those small seeds, Mountain White Half-Runners, in my hands, I could almost feel the enclosed life force.  Within days of planting, these bean seeds not only germinated close to 100 percent, they quickly grew and sent tendrils reaching for stakes and twine.  As if grateful for another life cycle, the plants produced bushels of tender beans and I happily canned, pickled and shared the bounty.  Heirloom seeds that grow in the same geographic area for years seem to adapt to growing conditions that are less than ideal.  The 2012 growing season included weeks without rain and even okra, a crop that loves hot, dry weather, suffered, but Granny's beans bloomed and produced abundantly.

Most people recognize the taste difference of heirloom tomatoes, compared to hybrids, but I find that every heirloom plant imparts intense flavor.  With the exception of some asparagus plants, almost every crop at Heart & Sole begins life as an heirloom seed.  Organic growing practices are important, but for a true taste experience, seek out heirloom plant varieties for your table.

Our 2014 garden includes rows of Granny's beans, peas, peanuts and sunflowers, along with hills of squash and cucumbers.  From my paternal grandmother, Heart & Sole hosts pumpkins and marigolds.  Richard's cousin, Gene Hedrick, recently shared some Whippoorwill peas, heirloom seeds saved by generations of Hedricks and Barlowes and they are growing for the first time since 2010.
White Mountain Half-Runner Bean Seeds

When I walk through our fields at Heart & Sole Gardens, familial bonds surround me.  I experience a visceral connection to ancestors when I grow the foods of my childhood and when I harvest, I can actually hear my grandparents' voices and their laughter.  Recalling life lessons they taught, I find comfort in continuing a legacy and I look forward to sharing inherited heirloom treasures with the next generation.

One of Richard's favorite treats is pickled beans.  As a wedding gift, his grandmother presented me with her handwritten recipe for Dilly Beans. To enjoy these briny beans, use unblemished, young beans and remove all strings.

Gran's Dilly Beans

Vestal Anderson's Dilly Beans

In a large pot, heat 2 cups distilled white vinegar, 1 3/4 cups water, 3 tablespoons sugar (I omit this) and 4 tablespoons kosher or sea salt, stir until salt (and sugar, if added) dissolves, remove pan from heat
4 pints fresh, young beans, trim ends and remove strings
In a large pot, cover beans with boiling water and allow to gently cook for 10 minutes, use slotted spoon to remove beans from water and plunge them into ice water
In four pint jars, place one sprig of dill, one clove of garlic and pack the cooled beans vertically
Optional:  I sometimes add a pinch of dried pepper flakes, sliced fresh jalapeno peppers or small hot red peppers
Pour hot pickling mixture over packed beans and either store in the refrigerator or can in a water bath, boiling jars for 20 minutes.  



0 comments: