Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Good Friday, Good Planting

My grandmother's lunar calendar was displayed prominently in her home.  Before planting any crop in her large garden, she consulted the "signs" to determine which days were most favorable for that plant.  As a child, I did not understand her references to necks, legs and heads and although I still have much to learn about following the signs, each gardening season makes me appreciate the wealth of information and astute advice I find in my farmer's almanac.  Although there are several worthy publications, I prefer Blum's Farmer's and Planter's Almanac, published in Winston-Salem, NC, for its clarity and ease of use. 

Most gardeners acknowledge Good Friday as an optimum time to plant.  Perhaps it is a way to celebrate the religious holiday's new life, a welcome for the arrival of Spring, or maybe we just enjoy getting our hands in a bit of soil after the long Winter, but for whatever reason, a number of gardeners make a point of putting something in the ground on that day.  Even though April 18, 2014, was not an ideal planting day, according to the farmer's almanac, Bill and Linda Clay planted beans, beets and a variety of other vegetables in their Gamewell garden.  Willard Greene also planted several seed varieties in his pristine Caldwell County garden space.  With overcast skies and a forty-eight degree temperature at Heart & Sole Gardens, I decided to ignore the very real threat of imminent freezing temperatures and plant a few small crops, just to celebrate the traditional day of planting.

Before I planted, I walked each potato row, hoping to see healthy plants, but almost every plant was brown and withered, the result of recent cold temperatures.  Disheartened, I hoped the root crop would recover and, as I strode through the rows, I saw evidence of another creature who had taken my same path.  Deer tracks made clear prints in the soft earth and I knew that eating machine was making plans to return when my tender plants begin to grow. 

Deer tracks between potato rows 

Potato plant shows frost damage

After inspecting the potatoes, I gathered a basket and a sharp knife, hoping to harvest some asparagus, but discovered almost all the tender spears were wilted and soft.  As I cut the frozen shoots, I held hope the plants will still produce good yield, but it was disappointing to see pounds of lost vegetables. 
Asparagus spear, frozen and wilted
With typical gardener's optimism, I turned from my damaged crops, gathered seeds and began to plant.  Evidence of harsh weather's influence was at my back, but I planted a short row of my grandmother's beans, White Mountain Half Runners, seeds that have been in my family for at least seven generations.  As I dropped each seed, I prayed for its germination, for good growing conditions and for abundant yield.  Next, I planted two short rows of Hopi blue corn, using seed I saved from last year's crop.  This corn was delicious and I saved enough seed to gamble on having an early harvest or losing the plants entirely.  I finished my Good Friday planting with a variety of herb seeds and several types of radishes. 
Pinwheels placed in corn rows discourage crows from eating the tender shoots
As I loaded my tools and prepared to leave the farm, I noticed beautiful pea shoots emerging in another row.  I crossed my fingers and hoped I would be able to enjoy some of that crop.  With groundhogs, deer and other pests eager to eat the garden's bounty, we should all be grateful for local produce that makes it to our plates!
The Purple Martins supervise Good Friday planting

0 comments: